Monday, October 1, 2007

10-1-07

This last week I spent some time helping out with the school kayak club surfing in the ocean, did a little school work, and headed over to the coast again. It was raining really hard and the crew I was with decided to try and catch one of the harder creeks on the south island. I didn’t think I was quit ready for this adventure, so I grabbed a hot chocolate and waited for a couple other friends to pick me up in town. Then we were off to paddle something a little more mellow for that day. The Toaroha is were we ended up. It was a shorter hike to the put in where we came to a pretty full river bed. As I’m more use to shallow, rocky, low volume water it was a little intimidating looking at a swift, milky, big water run. It turned out to be a great paddle as it was a fun class IV run with some big waves and holes. I wasn’t able hook back up with my other friends, so I caught a ride back to Christchurch for another ‘thrilling’ week of class.